Today's the day that Microsoft releases Windows 8 to the world – for the technically inclined, that means a weekend of new hardware buying, computer building, operating system installing and configuring! To help you along the way, We Got Served has not one, but two new eBooks to help you make the most of Windows 8 and settle in to its fast, fluid (and in some respects, a little kooky) design….
…and this week, we have 10% off the price of both with the checkout code WIN8 (so you can get them for £8.99 each, rather than £9.99).
Get Ahead With 15 Essential Windows 8 Projects
15 Essential Windows 8 Projects is your guide to settling in with and getting more from Microsoft's all-new Windows 8 operating system. Written by Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Jim Clark, this 366 page eBook details fifteen great projects for users new to Windows 8 and is a superb companion to We Got Served's Building a Windows 8 Home Server – Step by Step.
From navigating the new Windows 8 touch user interface, customising and synchronizing your settings across multiple Windows 8 PCs, extending media file format support and even bringing back the familiar Windows 7 Start Menu, 15 Essential Windows 8 Projects is a fantastic resource to guide you through your first few days and weeks with Windows 8.
Our all-new guide to Windows 8 (in PDF and ePub formats) will help you make your new PC your PC with 366 pages of fully illustrated walkthroughs:
- Navigating Windows 8
- Bring Back the Start Menu
- Install Essential Windows Apps in a Single Bound
- Create Your Own Desktop Start Menu
- Install and Run Windows 8 on an Apple Mac
- Set Up a Remote Connection From Your iPad to a Windows 8 PC
- Store, Share and Protect Your Data in the Cloud
- Download Files With SABnzbd
- Extend Music & Video Media Support in Windows 8
- Update Your PC's Desktop Applications Automatically
- Protect Your Windows 8 PC
- Back Up Your Critical Data With File History
- Get to Work With a New Office Suite
- Synchronize Your Settings Across Multiple Windows 8 PCs
- View PDF Documents With the New Windows 8 Reader App
Start Building Your Windows 8 Home Server
Windows 8 is out today, and if you've been wondering whether the new platform could form the foundation for your next home server, we've got the answers!
Building a Windows 8 Home Server – Step by Step is We Got Served's essential guide to Microsoft's “re-imagined” Windows operating system… with a twist! Whether you're new to the world of home servers, thinking about upgrading from Windows Home Server or swapping your Network Attached Storage device for a real computer, this 360 page eBook will help you build, install and configure Windows 8 for home server use.
Written by Microsoft Windows Home Server MVP and We Got Served Editor Terry Walsh, Building a Windows 8 Home Server – Step by Step walks you step by step through your Windows 8 home server setup, illustrated with hundreds of detailed, full-colour screenshots.
From selecting hardware components, building your own home server PC, through installation, set-up and usage, Building a Windows 8 Home Server – Step by Step brings to life the most relevant new features of Windows 8, helping you build your home network around a Windows 8 PC. Detailed walkthroughs include a deep dive into Microsoft's all-new Storage Spaces feature, (the successor to Windows Home Server Drive Extender), File History and data backup options, configuring user accounts, homegroups and shared folders, navigating the brand new (and more than a little quirky) Windows 8 Start Screen and Apps, configuring Remote Access and in-home/mobile media streaming and much more. Finally for Windows Home Server enthusiasts, there's a bonus chapter on converging Windows Home Server 2011 client backup and remote access with Windows 8 – bringing together the best of both worlds!
Save 10% and get Building a Windows 8 Home Server for just £8.99 with the checkout code WIN8.
This brand new, 360 page guide (PDF/ePub) will help you build, install and configure Windows 8 for home server use. Chapters include:
- Windows 8 Home Server Hardware
- Building Your Windows 8 Home Server
- Configuring Your UEFI Motherboard
- Installing Windows 8
- A Lap Around the Windows 8 Desktop. Erm, Desktops
- Windows 8 Storage and Storage Spaces
- Managing User Accounts and Family Safety
- Homegroups and Shared Folders
- File History, Backup and Data Recovery
- Windows 8 Media Streaming and Play To
- Remote Access, Remote Media Streaming and the SkyDrive Cloud
- Running Windows Home Server as a Virtual Machine in Windows 8
Next up, we'll be turning our attention to Windows Server 2012 Essentials and OS X Mountain Lion Server. More on those soon.