[box type="note" style="rounded"]Over the next few weeks, in a series of guest posts, Michael C. Bazarewsky will be walking us through the installation and setup of Microsoft's all-new Windows Server 2012 Essentials. Over to Mike![/box]
In two previous posts, I talked about the installation process for Windows Essentials Server 2012 Beta and some of the configuration process. In this post, I am going to show the same lab environment, configuring a pair of clients – a Windows 7 client and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server.
The Windows 7 Client
I started with the Windows 7 Client. When I set up the server, it configured a local IIS installation with three web sites:
The default, primary web site includes a virtual directory for connecting to the server, like the earlier product incarnations. I was able to connect to it from the Windows 7 client:
I clicked the Download link, and that gave me an EXE to run. Notice underneath the very large Windows link is a much smaller Mac link. I don’t have the ability to test this now (primarily because I can’t easily run an OS X VM), but at some point I hope to be at the office where a Mac Mini sits somewhat abandoned.
Moving on, I received the expected UAC prompt:
Notice it shows as “Downloaded from the Internet”. Out of curiosity, I clicked No, then enabled Intranet settings as I had be prompted to by Internet Explorer:
Then, I emptied the IE cache (to make sure the client really re-downloaded the connector), then clicked the Download link again. This time, UAC shows it as a local file:
I admit I had never tried this before, so I didn’t really know what to expect; this is somewhat interesting I think. Continuing, the Connector searched for the server: