Following the release in December of our popular Using OS X Lion Server at Home eBook, we were asked a question, “Why haven't you done a guide to Windows Home Server”? We couldn't think of a smart enough answer, so got to work writing one over Christmas…. and it's ready for release! Authored by Microsoft Windows Home Server MVPs Terry Walsh and Jim Clark, Windows Home Server 2011 Step by Step is WGS' comprehensive guide to Microsoft's home server platform, covering hardware, software, add-ins, apps, tips, tricks, advice, support and a whole lot more.
Here's what you can expect:
- 25 Chapters Covering the World of Windows Home Server 2011, With More On the Way
Get over 650 pages of home server walkthroughs, covering a wide range of topics for beginners and experts alike. We'll discuss why you need a home server in your digital home, the benefits of Windows Home Server vs other storage platforms and walk you through your first few days of life with your home server. From there, we move on to more advanced topics, covering Apple Mac integration, remote access and media streaming before kicking off a series of advanced projects to help you make the most of your home server.
- Simple, Straightforward Advice and Support
Each chapter is crafted in We Got Served's usual style – expect step by step advice and hundreds of lovingly captured screenshots to make working with Windows Home Server 2011 easy as pie – no matter if we're talking basics, or advanced moves.
- Exclusive Content, Not Available on the Website
Windows Home Server 2011 Step by Step includes tips, tricks, guides and walkthroughs not published at We Got Served, ensuring it's our most comprehensive guide to owning Windows Home Server available.
- Follow Each Chapter On PC, Mac, Tablet, Kindle, Smartphone and more
Your download includes both ePub and PDF versions of the book, which can be read on thousands of devices. Far more convenient than switching back and forth to the website as you work through each guide.
- Links to Online Discussion at WGS for Peer to Peer Support
No need to miss out on the conversation online! Each chapter will be serialised and summarised on WGS where you can ask the community questions, share knowledge and solve problems together.
- What is a Home Server?
- Building Your Home Server
- Should I Upgrade to Windows Home Server 2011?
- Windows Home Server 2011 Hardware Requirements
- Installing Windows Home Server 2011
- Connecting Client Computers to the Server
- The Launchpad
- Managing Your Server With the Dashboard
- Backing Up Your PCs
- Restoring Files, Folders and PCs
- Managing Users
- Home Server Storage
- Accessing Your Server Remotely
- Doing More With Add-ins
- Backing Up Your Server
- Recovering Your Server
- Windows Home Server and Apple Macs
- Managing TV Recordings With Windows Media Center
- Streaming Music, Videos and Photos
- Install a WordPress Blog
- Install a Photo and Video Gallery on Your Home Server
- Share Your Printer With Devices On the Network
- Host PC Updates Locally With Windows Server Update Services
- Advanced Storage Management With RAID
- Media Streaming From Windows Home Server to Apple iPad
All subsequent project chapters in the coming weeks will be available for free to purchasers, just as we're doing for the OS X Lion Server book. We've priced the eBook at a (hopefully reasonable) £14.99/$24.00 (exchange rate may vary the numbers by a few pennies) which is cheaper than other Windows Home Server 2011 titles on the market (by around 35% at the moment, looking around), and of course, the value will keep growing as we release more and more bonus chapters (we have quite a few in plan!). Jim and I have put in a serious amount of work on the project over the last couple of months, so hopefully that's paid off in the shape of a valuable resource for WHS 2011.
Whether you're new to Windows Home Server 2011, or you've mastered the basics and now want to do more to make your connected home completely awesome, you'll find some great ideas, hints and tips in the book. (If there's areas you want adding in the future, shout!)